There is something about a homemade Apple Pie. The crust, the filling, the love and energy that has gone into it. All of those things combined just makes it taste that much better!
This Apple Pie filling recipe won't disappoint either! While it will take time to prepare, you can make a big batch in advance and even freeze it. This will help some with the time savings but you won't skimp on the flavor.
Homemade Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- 4 cups, Apples (sliced and peeled)
- ½ cup, Sugar
- 3 TBS, Cornstarch
- 2 TBS, Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp, Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp, Nutmeg
- 1 cup, Warm Water
Homemade Apple Pie Filling Instructions
- In a bowl, add ¾ cup warm water, lemon juice and sliced apples. Toss the apples in the mixture
to prevent browning.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup of water and whisk until blended.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the saucepan, and whisk to combine.
- Pour contents from bowl filled with apples into the saucepan and stir. Cook on low heat for 10
minutes or until apples have softened.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool and thicken before using.
You can also make a homemade pie crust to go along with this, or the store-bought works just as good! This filling would work great in a hand pie too. Make some and freeze so you can throw them in the oven at a moment's notice!
Be sure to save this post on Pinterest for later!